Sunday, December 4, 2011

How can I get Mozilla Thunderbird to get my Outbox messages from my mail account?

I just started using MT today and I'm a bit confused because I've never used something like this before. How can I get it to show my outbox messages from my mail? and is there anyway I can get it to minimize to my tray? Is there a setting for that?|||In order to use a separate email program, such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or Thunderbird (see below), to receive Yahoo Mail you can use POP3 or IMAP. SMTP is needed when using any program or right clicking on a file to directly send email. POP3 and SMTP is free in the UK, AU, and NZ but in the US you must pay for "Yahoo Mail Plus". In Canada it is free with "Yahoo! Delivers". IMAP can be used free anywhere. When you do you can set the servers as follows:





Incoming (POP3)


     US and CA - plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com Use SSL; Port 995


     UK - pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk Use SSL; Port 995


     AU and NZ - pop.mail.yahoo.com.au Use SSL; Port 995





Outgoing (SMTP)


     US and CA - plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com Use TLS; Port 465


     UK - smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk Use SSL and TLS; Port 465


     AU and NZ - smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au Use SSL and TLS; Port 465





Incoming (IMAP)


     US and CA - imap.mail.yahoo.com Use SSL/TLS; Port 993


     (For outgoing use the SMTP server. Not available for free in the US. Free in CA with "Yahoo! Delivers".)





NOTE: It seems that Yahoo has removed SSL. If the above does not work then try removing the SSL option.





I am using IMAP with Thunderbird with a free account. I can receive email with no problem. I use another email account for outgoing mail.





The same servers are used for ymail and rocketmail. Use the entire email address as the Yahoo ID.





Differences between POP3 and IMAP.





Most email programs will handle either. The main difference is that folders online are mapped to the folders in the email program with IMAP. When I set it up all my online folders showed up in Thunderbird. The spam folder shows up just just like any other folder and items may have to be moved to another spam folder. I have not used it enough to be an expert but I know that moving or deleting items in Thunderbird move or delete the items online.





ʎəɿʞɹɐq  ̊ ͜͡● ̊|||To get the Sent messages you need to use IMAP instead of POP3. Mozilla Thunderbird defaults to IMAP but Yahoo doesn't usually support that system, therefore you'll only get a download of your Inbox via POP3.



If you're minded to change your email account, Gmail supports both systems at no charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment